Friday, August 13, 2010

Music Of The Night




Recently I've been in a Phantom Of the Opera phase. Ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you probably how sick of the Think-of-me-fondly's and Down-We-Plunge-Toward-The-Prison-Of-My-Mind's they are. I just kept singing the songs, listening to the Broadway and movie versions at work, making comparisons between the two. Watching the movie and special features every other day. The interest started around the 9th month of working grave's and feeling lonely and alienated from the rest of the waking world. The Music of The Night song really hit home. "Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation. Darkness stirs and wakes imagination. Silently the senses abandon their defenses." Alone in the night, I started feeling more vulnerable. Alone, i had to learn to deal with myself. I had to get to know me again. It was like hanging out with a friend that you were just kind of acquainted with, one on one, trying to come up with something to talk about. Did i have anything in common with myself? it's easier to be around other people. You automatically sync your personality with the other person's. you can be who you assume the other person assumes you are... but when your by your self, with the one person in the universe who knows everything about your self, there's no hiding anything. It's surprising how little a person can know about themselves until they are alone, in the middle of the night with no one else to distract from the awkward moment. I found that when your away from the world, there's not as many judgements you have to deal with. in the night i can be whoever i want to be. i can believe what ever i want to believe in. like a hanged man, hung from his feet. dangling between two worlds. a foot in reality and a foot in the otherworld. from this upside down view things look different. a change in perspective. living a life from Sunset to Sunrise "...in this darkness that you know you can not find. The darkness of the Music of the Night" I had a dream where Mario, the original Nintendo version, colored in black and red, jumped up into a portal. in the dream, a voice said "... exploring the Dark recess of the mind." Darkness in the mind is just uncharted territory. Not evil or bad. Just unknown Darkness that needs to be explored. To close your eyes and see clearer. "let your mind start a journey to a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the life you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be". The world we live in puts so much anxiety into Light and Dark. You can be either one or the other. The Earth, Life, functions in dualities. Positive/Negative. Male/Female. Sun/Moon. Day/Night But one without the other is unbalanced. why should the human mind be any different?  
More recently I've been trying to get away from the Phantom so i dont get too sick of it. I've been listening to more Andrew Lloyd Webber, Cats and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolored Dream Coat. I've been more comfortable with being alone. Not perfectly, but I'm trying.
"it's over now the Music of the Night"

2 comments:

  1. You are a very deep thinker, and this makes me very proud. This post was extremely thought provoking for me... and a journey I have been on myself... in the darkness of the night. I think, from your perspective... I have found insights so quickly that took me years to understand. There are too many good thoughts and comments within this one blog to enumerate on, but I can see you are off to a running start, and I am proud to be a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your deep thinking has made my thinking look like a kiddie pool. ;) But that's okay. My blog isn't made for a lot of deep thinking, but more of a journal. And I completely understand the PTO, I once sang the entire thing (origianl cast version) driving from Price to Salt Lake and about lost my voice. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete